Monday, October 13, 2014

Seminary Hurts







I really doubt I'll publish this, but, maybe I will.  Just speaking my mind today.

Seminary Hurts.

Chuck Swindoll said this last week at chapel: "Satan hates Seminary students the most. They are under the highest amount of attack."

Its true. Its probably suppose to. Its a Masters program, or even, an M.Div program that is designed to train up leaders in the church, specifically for pastoral role. What a beautiful opportunity it is! I never want to down play this opportunity that the Lord has given me, but my goodness, Seminary Hurts.

This is only my second semester there, but, I have been finding it harder to lead people to the Lord. It's become harder for me to prepare a sermon, and to prep for a small group, and to talk about who Jesus is. Maybe its suppose to be.

You know, I just go back and think about the characters we find in the Bible. We often talk about how the disciples were the 'rejects', and don't get me wrong, they were by the standard of the day. Even so, they knew the word. They knew the word. Well.

Seminary has already absolutely changed my view of who God is, I'm sure it will a couple of times during my time here. This is a beautiful thing, but my goodness, it sure seems like we lose focus of the very basics of the Gospel. Of what Jesus Christ did for everyone.

Even writing a blog, which is something that I use to greatly enjoy, is harder. I'm constantly double checking myself and thinking about the theology that I'm publishing with what words I use and how I'm coming off. Is it right to make the claims I make? Is it right to state my opinion? Is it right to say something as bold as 'seminary hurts'? Are people going to be offended by this?

What I must constantly remind myself is, bring Glory to God. This is the life goal. This is our call. Bring Glory to God. Glorify His name above all else.

I'm starting to think that this is why I am taking a slower track in Seminary, because for me, its such a spiritual journey, not just a place to get the right answers to later give the right answers. So yes, Seminary Hurts, but I think it should. I want to give everything I have, and everything I am, in order to proclaim the name of Jesus Christ in the best way possible.

When you're dealing with the most important thing in the world, that is, people's salvation, it must be taken seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment