Tuesday, February 12, 2013

First Thoughts (basic update)

I'm here now.  And wow.  First, I want to say, the flight was no big deal at all.  I had my own personal touch screen with 100's of movies and TV shows and games on it and I slept for a few hours.  But getting into Brisbane was... Awesome.
I had a smile on my face that I didn't even realize and couldn't get rid of for a few minutes when I first saw the land flying in.  I am so ready to be here and just go out and see what God has for me.
First thing first, I'm easily the oldest student here, I'm also older then most of the 'staffers'.  To be honest, it's a little awkward, I'm sure it won't matter in the long run, but most of the other students are 18-20.  I know that doesn't seem like much, but I'm the only person that has graduated college, which actually means a lot.  One of the leaders, who is a local, said in her beautiful accent "It just means you have more wisdom to share."  Which is cool to hear, but a little bit of me goes into leader mode like when I help to run camps and it makes it hard to participate in some of the games that we've played.  Again I'm sure that this will blow over, but its still on me head.
In the shower this evening, I had about a 3 second freak out thinking... "Why am I here? What am I doing here? How can I do this?!" It was awesome to feel Christ say 'Son, you are here for a reason, trust me.'

Now, as far as the base.  Its pretty cool.  Pretty far from the beach (about an hour train ride) and 20 minutes from downtown Brisbane.  Its a little bit like a very small camp, there's a dinning hall, a student hang out place (just a bunch of couches), bunk beds, grassy areas.  The Base is in the middle of a neighborhood and today we played basketball at the school down the street.  Orientation is tomorrow and all the students will be here finally! A lot of people are from Canada for some reason, a few from the states, then spread out else where.  There is a bunch of people here from Aussie which is cool to hear from the locals.

At this point, I just want to take it all in, meeting new people is awkward and hard for me but once we break the barrier, these are all great people all wanting to be closer to Christ.


In Him,
Jeremy

I will post pictures next time. For now, I must sleep.  We have breakfast at 7am every morning! Oh and Mom, my new friend is a runner... he wants to go running every morning.

2 comments:

  1. Jeremy!! Maybe you are meant to make a difference in the others lives. It is so inspiring of you to go to Australia and it inspires me. Thanks for your comment I really appreciate it!! -Rachel g

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds awesome dude! I can't wait to hear more from you!

    ReplyDelete