Saturday, April 6, 2013

Work Hard, Play Hard

     I've come to realize that to the Blog readers Eye, it probably looks like I'm just having a whole lot of fun out here in Australia, and while that is defiantly true, I should make it clear, its hard work.  Two weeks ago we helped at a Festival, EasterFest, which to you Coloradians, its a lot like HeavenFest but its for 3 days.  We were part of the setup team, which meant that we were working 12+ hour days and only sleeping around 5 hours every night for the week leading up to the event.  It was really hard but really fun.  You see, doing things in the name of Christ, will always be enjoyable.  Even when it comes to cleaning the small bathroom that the 300 workers use (Ya, I did that 3 times).  But having the attitude that "we are doing this for the Glory of God" makes it awesome.  Life if what you make it.  And when you make life about Christ, it sure makes life much better.  God wants us to live happy and amazing lives, even when cleaning toilets for hours as a volunteer.
    With that out of the way, I'll tell you more about what I did.  2 weeks living in tents and backpacks sure makes you appreciate the little things, like running water! The first week I already explained a bit of setting up for a festival.  But, then the festival came and we worked for it.  Most jobs were basic security of gates and family tenting area's.  I got a Gift from God, I was (along with 1 other leader) assigned to a group (Sadie Hawkins Tents) that was basically a bunch of youth groups that came together for the festival.  They didn't have enough leaders and asked me to be one.  Praise the Lord! Youth Ministry at its finest hour!  Again, really hard, but really fun.  I didn't know anyone but just stuck around there area and hung with the students.  I think I slept 3 hours each night, staying up late with the kids, and up early to help setup.   It was awesome!  But don't worry, I played hard.  All Access pass to the weekend has its advantages!
    It rained Hard the last night, so hard in fact that everyone just walked around barefoot because you walked in 6 inches of mud everywhere you go... yum. Then I took on the task of pushing out cars and water proofing tents.  Crazy!
     The next week was outreach week where we do outreach and street evangelism in Bryron Bay.  You might have heard of it, its a very popular spot in Australia to visit.  In fact, most the people I met were Not from Aussie.  Canada, Europe, and America.  We spent the week doing different kinds of outreach.  Free BBQ's, live music, Pancakes and Chi, Volleyball tournaments, and the like.  We went to a small town called Nimbin.  Its a little wild in the fact that its where all the hippies landed.  I spent most of the day just praying for the town and talking to some random people.  They are so nice, but they just don't know the love of Jesus Christ.  They tend to offer cookies and brownies... that we can't eat as they're baked in a 'special' way.
      These past few weeks, God has really been saying "Be a Light among the Lights".  It sounds so prideful while I write it, but I'll try to explain this idea better.  I'm one of the oldest students on base, (the other is a girl Jessica who is 24) and I've come to realize I took a natural role as a leader among the students.  I didn't actually want that, I wanted to sit in the background and just soak up all that I could, which I still do at times.  But I found that I have to be the best I can be so that everyone around me will do that same.  Thank you God.





Tents that I stayed in.  This goes on an on an on an on....






Concert.  There were 4 stages.  This is main stage.  This is Sanctus Real. My favorite was Relient K and Lecrae.













Panorama view of Byron Bay Light house.  
















1 comment:

  1. I'm sure that those youth groups weren't as....awkward as us ;)
    Miss ya,
    Strike

    ReplyDelete