Sunday, June 30, 2013

Oh my Soul, Rejoice.

    There's many things I would like to say here.  There's many things I would like to tell the world about and share and show.  But there is only time for a select few. 

   We've been here about a week.  Soon after writing my last blog we left the base in Darjeeling and headed to Sikkim, which is about a 4 hour jeep ride away, just one state over to the west toward Nepal.  Upon arrival we found that we would be staying in a church, on the cement, with the mice, and mosquitoes, and other creepy crawlies all week.  The first few days were really hard for me. Waking up every hour or so because something would bite Ronnie and myself as we were closest to the door, then waking up at 6:30 to read my bible, then worship, then breakfast, then we just did prayer walks at different temples and hikes through the land.  I was having a hard time.  Prayer walks, though they are cool, its rare to see any fruit from it.  Its too easy to think that its not actually doing anything, but my leaders assure me of the importance this plays.  We hike into the mountains, which can be fun, but not when you have to wear jeans, and its hot and sticky and humid and I couldn't find hiking boots here like I had planned as my feet are apparently giant compared to the people here.  I started counting down the days of when I could come back.  Looking for any type of comfort.  In the negative Nancy mood again.
    But this is not where I want to be.  I want to flourish, I want to love being here, I want every second to count for something knowing that I am doing God's work and spreading the amazing news of Jesus Christ.  Its a daily decision to wake up and want to love whatever the day has in store.  This is a life lesson.  Again, I see the beauty in where I am.  All of a sudden the creatures that are eating me alive at night turns into a game, to see who can get less bites. Embrace hiking and get sweaty and realize that I'm going to eat rice everyday... yummy!  Once in a life time opportunity, lets embrace every miserable moment together, because once we leave, I'll miss them.
   There are a few stories I cannot tell quite yet, as some of what we are doing isn't exactly legal.  Its cool to have to be "sneaky" for Christ.  

    I'm finding outreach to be hard, clearly.  But that's one of the reasons I chose to go to India.  I knew it would be one of the harder outreach locations for me and I wanted to be pushed. I'm learning more and more to rely on God and to follow him with everything.  But I'm also taking practical steps on seeing positive in life.   Even when I'm at a bus station using a squatty potty with no toilet paper and a spider the size of a dessert plate is staring me down. What a ride!  What an adventure it is to follow Christ!

    I should be around most of today if you want to try to get a hold of me.  Facebook/e-mail tend to be the best ways. You can read my team blog if you want to know specifically what I'm doing daily.


Chained to Him,
Jeremy


No comments:

Post a Comment