Thursday, October 10, 2013

Jesus, come into my Heart

When I was eight years old I was living in Milpitas, California with my parents, and younger brother, Caleb, my older sister, Rachelle.  We had a small house in an older neighborhood with bars on the windows and a creek that we could play in just across the street. It was a typical evening in the Robinson house, everyone had just walked through the front door.  Mom and Dad had just left work at our church where my mother was the Children s Ministry Director and my dad was head accountant dealing with all the money.  My mom had picked us kids up from our grandparents house which is where we went every day after school because it was just across the street.  
My grandma would always tell me; “rich people have two homes, and this is your second home!”  It made me feel more at home, because I had always been a homebody, but we all knew that money was tight.  My mom was cooking dinner while my dad helped my brother with homework.  My sister and I were in the back of our house in her bedroom playing “hot wheel and barbies” a game we made up and quite enjoyed which just meant that I would play with my hot wheels while she played with her barbies.
Something was different that night, and I didn't realize it until years later. All of a sudden my mom came back into Rachelle’s room;
“Shell why don’t you go see if you can help your little brother with his Homework.”
For once in her life, my sister actually listened to my mother without saying a word went into the kitchen.  My mother knelt down by me, and by instinct, I handed her the purple car, the one that she would usually play with.  She denied it, and I could tell that she needed to talk to me about something.  
I can remember everything about that moment, and that’s how I know it was real.  From that moment forward, my life would never be the same.  I sat in the hallway right by the book shelf, looking at an orange hard copy of Dr. Seuss’s Green Eggs and Ham.  I remember my mom grabbing my hand and asking the typical important questions of; “Do you believe Jesus is the son of God and came to earth and died on the cross for your sins?”  I repeated after her, and in after a few minutes, I had Jesus in my heart, forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment