Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Kill, Steal, and Destroy




This morning I was reading through my bible and had a random thought I wanted to share.  

I listen to a lot of podcasts and so I can't quite say this is my original thought or not (now that I'm typing it, I think I first heard it from TD Jakes

We know that "The thief's purpose is to steal and kill and destroy..." (John 10:10) and if you go just a few pages to the left we find a story that proves this happening.  Matthew 8:28-33 is a well known story.

Jesus gets off the boat in the region of the Gadarenes, and suddenly two men approach him.

Stop right there: This was pretty normal. Jesus was becoming well known and people would constantly approach him and ask for healing or just want to listen to what he was going to say.  But these guys were different.  I can only imagine they were speaking in a voice that didn't sound human but comes from science fiction movies. 

They are demon possessed and are instantly scared of Jesus. 

After begging Jesus not to hurt them, Jesus sends them into the pigs.  As the story goes, the pigs instantly jump off a hill cliff and die.

You see, the pigs didn't have any power against the demons. So as soon as the demons entered into the pigs, they did exactly what they have been trying to do the whole time they possessed the men. Kill

I think we often forget. The enemy is constantly trying to kill, steal, and destroy us. 

As it says in my favorite Batman movie, "Some men just want to watch the world burn."








No comments:

Post a Comment