Friday, August 23, 2013

When Life speeds up, I slow down

     A lot has happened in the last two weeks.  Well first off, you should know that I'm sitting in a corner store in the middle of Sydney.  That should give you some perspective as to where I have been.   I graduated DTS and that was a beautiful moment.  But with that high time of fun and memories made, came the sad fact that we, as a group, had to part ways.  Saying bye isn't easy, and there is no easy way of doing it.  Some of my closer friends cried the second I gave them a hug, where some were more simple with a "I'll see you soon, bro" and a high five.  I will admit (for the first time) I cried a few times over those last days together.  Its crazy that we can get so close in a short period, but then break off going to different parts of the world.  Some friends will lose contact, some will talk to on a shallow level, but I can only hope most of them will stay close as the years go bye.  They have all earned a special place in my heart.
    That being said! I got to spend a week with a great group of people camping in a van!  We just sat on the beach all day and camped in the woods.  We rented this van from a site called WickedCampers for $10 a day.  Super cheap!  But, As you might be able to see in pictures, I had to sensor some of the words on the van, they like to paint their vans in weird ways.  But sitting around a fire playing worship and talking Jesus is something that I constantly look forward to in life, and we did it for 5 days!  I came to answer one of the questions I asked before, one that my school leader asked us before DTS ended... what is my response to "How was your Holiday/Vacation?"        
         Most of the students said they would be slightly offended by this, but why?  To be perfectly honest, the past 6 months was a bit of a Holiday.  Yes, it was hard and I had to work hard and go to school and do homework.  But that's just it, it was a specific Holiday to seek after Jesus.  Much like when people take trips to go do something like, climb a mountain, or surf in Haiti, or skydive in New Zealand.  Those things take work and months of training and preparation.    I had a specific purpose on this trip, to find true, deep, and lasting intimacy with Jesus Christ, and to proclaim the name of Jesus Christ in everything I say and do, no matter if its awkward or hard.  It took work and preparation in ways I didn't think it would, but it was the most amazing Holiday anyone could ever have.  Its a joy that is lasting and not temporary like riding a roller coaster.    And now I have to go back to daily life and daily struggles and daily temptations... Bring it on!
      So simply put, when people ask "How was your vacation?" I'll say, it was life changing.  The only things worth living for take work. Amen.

    Now to Sydney, Beautiful.  Feels a lot like Denver.  Sunny and everyone is really nice.  I will say a few small comments.  First, thank the good Lord that the drinking age in the U.S. is 21.  Here its 18 and staying in a hostel, I had the opportunity to see what 18 year old do with just that little bit of freedom.  It was awesome talking to them and I got to ask quite a few why they were here or what they were doing, come to find out they are all searching for something, weather its adventure, or pleasure, or running from parents, or just 'trying to have fun.' We know the truth is, that gap will never be satisfied unless they meet the Creator.  I only hope I was a small light in a dark world.  If you ever get to backpack through the world, just know how much of a light you can be to other travelers.












I sat here for about an hour today and read through 2nd Samuel. In chapter 14 there is a girl who is convincing King David to being his son back. Verse 14 then talks about how precious life is: 

"All of us must die eventually. Our lives are like water spilled out on the ground, which cannot be gathered up again. But God does not just sweep life away; instead, he devises ways to being us back when we have been separated from him."

God is constantly calling us back to him. Live life to the fullest, constantly perusing Christ as he is searching for you. 



2 comments:

  1. just wanted you to know that I'm a student in 8th grade, and I've been reading every single one of your blogs since you left :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Anonymous, thank you for reading! I hope they have been encouraging.

      Delete