Sunday, August 4, 2013

Times like these never last, but I tipped over the hourglass

        My last week in India and entry back into Brisbane.

        We went down the mountain into a town called Siliguri.  We stayed at a bible college where they have a 2 year bachelor degree.  Its funny because we thought we'd go there to teach things on the bible, that's kind of what they implied.  Come to it, we did open airs for the first couple of days.  Which means, we would go into a common area, like a market place or a park, start to play music, dance around, then preach the gospel.  We weren't able to do this before as it can really cause a commotion and be a legal problem for us, we ended up doing 5 in 2 days.  Anyway, I loved it.  How cool that all these people come to just hear what we have to say.  I was elected by the team to give the gospel, which made me nervous, this is probably the first time any of these people have heard the good news of Jesus, and might be the last... no pressure.  The Lord guided my words and we saw some amazing seed's come, people raising their hands wanting to accept Jesus as Lord. God is Good.
     The rest of the time in Siliguri was amazing, we got to hang out with the students, play volleyball, and play worship on the rooftop, heck I even sat in on a theology class, they were talking about cults and I spoke a little bit on Mormonism, as its not so popular in India they didn't know much about it.  We taught the students about children's ministry and showed them how to do a skit that we do everywhere we go.  They took care of us, hanging on our every need and want,  they just wanted to show us love, and boy did they ever!  Thank you Bible college, you guys were awesome and we'll truly miss you.
 
     After this, we traveled.  11 hour train ride to Kolkutta, stayed there for a night, then 4 hour plane to Singapore and another 8 hour plane to Brisbane, Australia, which is where I write this now.
   Its quite an experience coming back into this side of the world.  It actually reminded me of going to India.  You know, we thought we were prepared, we read books and talked to people who had been there, looked at pictures and even watched movies, but going there is a whole different story.  Living life there is to truly jump into the culture, its something you can try to prepare for as much as you want, but until you've done it, you'll never understand.  Probably like parenting!   Well coming back to Australia is the same kind of idea.  Its really quite hard to put back into words.  The common view is that is easy to see just how much we waste here, and that is true, but I'm seeing just how nice it is here.  There isn't trash everywhere, I can drink the water safely, there's toilets with TP, and it feels like theres so much room everywhere.   I truly loved India, and loved the people, I'll miss it, but I am glad to be back in Australia.  Coming back to friends here that I had become so close to in 4 months time, then leave each other for 2 months.  It makes me think further about coming back to Colorado, where home is, where I'll see friends I've known for years as well as Family.  What a beautiful moment that will be.
        India as a whole, what can I say?  I've only had a little time to think it over and talk to the other teams to swap stories, but I've already come to realize that India was where God wanted me to be.  I think I got to see the most change, and from that, we ourselves changed a lot, we had to in order to adopt the culture and in order to do effective ministry.  Already I get asked, 'well what was the hardest part' and I don't have a simple answer for what seems like a simple question.  It was just a different culture, a different way of life, honestly life is harder there.   Throw any middle class westerner there for over 2 weeks and its going to be a struggle.  Just as I was leaving though, I felt adjusted, and not adjusted as in its what I prefer, but as in I didn't realize the difference anymore or miss the American way of life.  Maybe that what makes coming back to Australia so difficult.  I'm starting to see what I missed, which was hard to see because I loved the Indian people and will always have friends there.  I will end with this statement that has been said many times before;  I am so blessed to have been born and raised in America.  And it takes leaving to realize just how much of a blessing that is.

More to come soon.

Chained to him,
J





I <3 Darj

Oh drum set, how I've missed you. 


Open air. Gospel. 


#VolleyballLife


Street outside the college. Cows everywhere! 

No comments:

Post a Comment